Ke Kontan

Ke Kontan

Sunday 15 May 2011

Trip Update

I apologize for not being able to post a blog lately.  I have been busy and whenever I am not busy there never seems to be electricity.
Today I said goodbye to Sam and Blaire.  It was very sad.  The children were crying and did not want them to leave.  This makes me realize how hard it will be for me to leave them.  I am going to be so torn.  My heart is already breaking just thinking of the day that I must leave. 
Two teachers did not show up for work on Thursday, and on Friday only one teacher came to school.  They have not been paid for three months and cannot afford transportation to the orphanage everyday.  On Friday I taught English to the older students using flash cards.  After that I gave them pages out of a colouring book and we spent the rest of the afternoon colouring.  Jean let the students out early since they did not have a teacher.  Yesterday I helped Jean sweep and mop the orphanage.   The housewives did not show up to work either.  It has been one hectic orphanage the last few days.
Last night we brought out the glow sticks for the kids and took some pictures.  We went into our rooms and sat around and talked before bed.  From the room beside us we could here the kids singing.  They were singing a goodbye song to Sam, Josh, and Blaire.  It was sooo cute!!!
I still have not been able to sleep.  I am very itchy.  We were unable to go back to the hospital to get my prescription because Jean had to stay and teach the children.  I am hoping to go sometime this week and bring the rest of the children from the orphanage to get them checked out as well.
I have been reading a lot while here, whenever I am not busy with the children.  I recommend The Book of Negroes to everyone !!!! It is an amazing and heart wrenching novel.  It shows what people went through in the days of slavery (although slavery still exists in some areas) and makes us realize how awesome we have it.
It seems like everyday I am getting weaker and weaker and more exhausted.  I imagine this is due to the combination of lack of sleep, being sick, and only eating one meal a day. I still have my cold.. starting to wonder if it is a respiratory infection.  Also, I have been sick to my stomach since yesterday.  It must be from something I ate.  Thank God for Imodium !!! 
Everyday I become closer and closer with the children and develop new bonds.  Jean's second oldest son, Hanskery, told me that he loved me today and asked if he could come back to Canada.  He is such a sweetheart, whenever he see's me he runs up to me and has to hold my hand.  All of the children in the Orphanage are amazing.  Jean has done a great job raising them.
I am looking forward to my moms arrival.  I have been speaking with Alison Thompson who volunteers in Haiti often.  She works at a medical clinic in Cite Soleil.  I have asked if I could come and visit and bring my medical supplies for them.  She said that I can definitely go visit her for a few days.  Cite Soleil is where Caleb and I wished to go to do the medical outreach.  It is the slums of Haiti and is known as the kidnapping capital.  It is located in Port Au Prince where I am currently residing and it is known as the poorest and most dangerous area of the Western Hemisphere.  The area is said to have no sewers, stores, electricity, health care facilities, or schools.  They definitely need all the help they can get.  I cannot wait to go and visit Alison. 
It will be very lonely here for the next few days having a room to myself !
Thank you everyone for all of your messages.. If I do not respond right away I apologize.  I will respond as soon as I can !

Miss you all back home !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment