Ke Kontan

Ke Kontan

Thursday 5 May 2011

Day 4- Trip to the hospital

Last night was somewhat of a success.  No more cockroaches, however, I was unable to sleep due to the heat.  I tossed and turned all night.  I was up at six this morning.  I spent some time with the kids before school started and then took my second bucket shower.  It seems as if every morning I wake up with more and more bug bites.  Perhaps it is time to put the mosquito nets to use! This morning Jean asked me if I would go with him to take Meetchgave (the youngest baby girl about 6 months old) to the hospital to get vaccinated.  We left around 8 a.m..  Blaire, Sam, and Josh decided to come with us as well.  We walked for quite awhile then finally decided to take a bus.  I carried the baby the whole way and she fell asleep in my arms. The traffic is absolutely crazy here.  We fit 26 people into one small mini van and also had people hanging off the back.  The streets are so crowded, not only with vehicles but with people walking.  We finally arrived at the hospital and it was filled with tons of young mothers and babies.  I was in heaven haha ! I could not believe all of the babies there!  There was a huge line up so I had to sit in the waiting room.  I was the only white person there of course so everyone was looking at me.  Luckily, Jean had connections with some of the nurses so they allowed us to cut the line.  Meetchgave was getting hungry and we did not have any food for her.  Meetchgave is six months old and is still only wearing 0-3 month clothing.  She was given two prescriptions as well as her vaccination.  On the way back from the hospital we stopped at one of the streets which was selling canvas paintings.  They were pretty cool... I bought a few to bring back home! When we got back to the orphanage I played catch with the kids.  Jean called over a lady to come and do my hair.  She did corn rows in my hair and braided Sam's.  I am so happy I was able to get them done so I do not have to worry about my hair while I am here but it did hurt having them done.  It took her about an hour to do my hair and about two and a half hours to do Sam's.  I gave Jean some money so he and Blaire could go buy fans.  One for our room and one for the kids.  Hopefully I will be able to sleep better tonight.
These kids make me so happy.  It feels like Haiti is where I belong.  I already am dreading the day that I have to go home.   

No comments:

Post a Comment