Ke Kontan

Ke Kontan

Wednesday 25 May 2011

Day 24 !

Today started off to be an emotional day but ended great !  Mom departed for Canada this morning after spending six days in Haiti with me.  The kids were not happy to see her leave.  We spent the night last night watching the Jungle Book with the kids, jean, and his wife and then they all sang a goodbye song. We left the orphanage at six this morning and Djins Keith came with us to drop mom off (it is his birthday today).  After saying goodbye to Mom, we waited at the airport for Phil to arrive.  We had to wait two hours.  Phil arrived around eight thirty ! It was great to see Phil and he seemed very happy to be here.  I do not think he stopped smiling for the entire ride to the orphanage.  One of Phil's bags was lost during the flight change which contained a lot of clothes and shoes for the children.  Although he lost one bag he still had tons of things to give to the children. He still had two other suitcases full of clothes, shoes, toys, etc.  I showed Phil around the orphanage and visited the classrooms. We played with the kids during recess and then took a break and went and sat up on the roof.  The view is absolutely amazing.  It is great to have someone here who shares the same interests.  Phil came to Haiti last November to help build.  He has also gone to many other countries to volunteer.  We both have the same dream.. to one day build our own orphanages ! We talked for quite awhile about many things and also about how we both would love to live in Haiti or another country.  Canada is definitely overrated.  I love the lifestyle here, no drama ! They only concentrate on the important things in life.  The love and hospitality they have shown me is more then I have ever received before.  It feels like home here.  They are all now apart of my family ! I can't stop thinking about June 4th (the day I leave).. it does not feel like I have been here for a month.  I wish I could stay the rest of the summer.  Only ten days left.. everyday my heart is breaking a little more. 
After hanging out at the orphanage for awhile we headed to the supermarket to buy Djins Keith a birthday present and a cake ! He picked out a helicopter, remote control police car, and a football. During our walk to the supermarket a man walked by us; I was expecting a rude comment or him to ask for money (because of the look he was giving us)  but instead he yells out "God will bless you because you are not racist" and then smiled at us.  For some reason that comment alone has made today awesome.  After the supermarket we came back to the orphanage and ate some cake and played with the new toys!!! Phil brought a few soccer balls with him and we blew some bubbles.  Today has been a great day.
It is raining once again.  It has rained for the past six nights.  Tent City and the tents around our area are being completely destroyed.  There are so many belongings in the sewage drains and on the streets.  Hurricane season has arrived.  I feel horrible for those without shelter, I cannot imagine the fear they must have.  It is so sad to believe a year has gone by and people are still without homes.  There are probably more people living in tents then there are people living in stable households.
We are having a problem with the teachers here.  Jean has not been able to pay them since January.  I have given him a lot of money but he has lots of debts to pay off (including $5000 for rent).  They are refusing to write the exams for the kids and many are not showing up for work.  They cannot afford transportation to the orphanage everyday let alone food, shelter, and whatever else they made need ! I feel very bad for them since all of them attended University and received degrees.  Jean is very lucky that they are even still working.  Back home if we did not receive pay for one week we would quit and  take the employer to court.  Imagine going four months without pay after you worked so hard for a degree.
Jean is also hoping to put beds in the orphanage for the children and build a top level to the orphanage for classrooms.  It is a great idea since the orphanage is very small for all of the children he has that come for free schooling, but that is going to cost around $5000 as well.  
Michele Duguay has helped me to come in contact with a man named Danel Georges.  He works for MUCI organization and can help the orphanage out ! They may even help Jean complete his project of building more classrooms ! I have emailed Danel and he said he would love to help.  We are arranging for him to come and visit OREA.  Jean is calling him tonight !
I am feeling a lot better today.  My cold/respiratory infection is almost gone now ! I have a few infected insect bites but they are healing up as well.  My elbow was very swollen with pus a few days ago but I have been cleaning it often and using anti biotic cream.  My body has definitely adjusted to the temperature.  It was in the mid to high 80's today and I found it chilly ! I am going to freeze when I go back to Canada ! Hoping the weather will be nice by then. 
Phil met a man on the plane to Haiti who has offered to give us rides.  We would like to go to Cite Soliel on Friday to help out at the medical clinic with wash day and therapy for the kids.  We would stay over Friday night, help organize the medical dome on Saturday and then head back to the orphanage on Sunday.  I am hoping we can make these plans work ! I am really looking forward to visiting Cite Soliel even though it is the kidnapping capital.  On May 31st Phil and I are going to visit Hope Hospital and help Rigan (the head nurse).  We are going to stay until June 2nd so I am really looking forward to that as well.
Phil and I are both exhausted tonight.. we both had early mornings and busy days.  We are going to watch a movie with the kids and then probably head to bed ! Tomorrow we are going to buy paint, a shower head, and parts for the toilet ! Hoping to finally fix up the children's bathroom so they no longer have to go in a pail !
There are many things that I have learned in Haiti such as: NEVER bite your nails here, they are constantly dirty; Always wear sunscreen even when it does not seem sunny; bring wipes with you because after a day of walking in town you are completely covered in dirt and exhaust fumes; drink lots and LOTS of water, you become dehydrated very quickly; smile at people and they will usually always smile back; start conversations because most people think that you are a stuck up American, but once you begin talking they do not want to stop; never take a picture of someone on the streets (at least not when they are looking); do not travel after 5pm; bring lots of bug spray (although that doesn't help too much, you are going to get bitten no matter what); check your bed for cock roaches; do not touch any wires because there is a good chance you are going to get a shock; save everything you are doing on your computer and charge your camera,phones, etc when you can because you never know when the electricity will shut off and turn on next; shower in a bathing suit because they enjoy opening the bathroom door; make sure you go to the bathroom before seven thirty or else you may have to use the bucket; do not walk on the streets, cars will not stop for you; wear a Canada shirt; eat all food that is put in front of you or else it is insulting; if the food tastes horrible make sure you have lots of water near by; make sure you check the kids before you pick them up or set them on your lap, a lot of the times they have peed their pants; if the soccer ball is wet, do not pick it up, it probably means that it rolled into the bathroom area (the kids go in the bucket for number 2 but for number 1 they go right on the ground).  There are so many more but those are the only ones I could think of right now !
Being here really makes you appreciate things back home.  Although I know when I return to Canada I am going to feel very guilty and upset.  I wish I could bring all of the kids home with me ! I am going to miss them so much.


Hope things are going well back home !
Miss you all

No comments:

Post a Comment