Ke Kontan

Ke Kontan

Thursday 26 May 2011

Day 25- Teaching & Mountains !

      Well today was yet again another fantastic day in Haiti ! They just seem to be getting better and better.  We started off the morning by teaching the older kids because once again the teachers did not show up.  We did English flash cards with them and then did some mathematics.  After finishing the actual work we coloured and made necklaces.  The older kids are very difficult.. they love to hit each other and I swear the younger kids know how to share better then they do !!! After doing the crafts we did some more math.  The whole time I was teaching Phil was constantly pulling kids off of each other.  Although it was exhausting it was also fun.  School finished an hour early today since it is Friday. 
      After school we walked to Western Union to pick up some money to give Jean to help pay the teachers.   We then went to a shop and bought some white paint and wiring.  When we get back to the orphanage on Sunday we are going to paint the kitchen and the children's bathroom.  We are also hoping to fix the toilet.
      I contaced We Advance clinic is Wharf Jeremy today to see about volunteering this weekend.  I was able to confirm the plans and we will be staying there tomorrow night until Sunday morning.  Tomorrow we will be helping out with wash day (they bathe a bunch of kids in the community in inflatable pools) as well as helping with therapy.  Saturday we are helping to organize the medical dome.  I am definitely looking forward to this trip.  This is the trip that Caleb and I had planned.  I am glad Phil is here to do it with me. 
The main problem with arranging the trip to Cite Soliel was transportation.  Luckily Phil met a man on the plane ride to Haiti who offered to drive us anywhere.  He gave Phil his number but he is only in Haiti until Saturday.  His name is Amos.  He is from Haiti and grew up in an orphanage.  He now lives in the states and comes here to sell cars.  He was so glad that we are helping out in an orphanage.  We decided to call him today about transportation for tomorrow.  He did not even hesitate to say yes.  Not only did he tell us that he would drive us tomorrow morning but he also asked if he could come visit us at the orphanage today.  He came around two thirty.  It was nice to talk to someone who spoke English, Creole, and French because he can translate for us.  After talking for awhile he asked Phil and I if we would like to go see the mountains!!! We had talked about how we would like to go up the mountains yesterday so we couldn't believe that he offered to take us ! We packed up our bags with water, snacks, and of course our camera's.  We first stopped at the guest house he was staying at so he could change.  At the guest how they have a fridge with pop and beer.  Phil and I decided to try the Haitian beer called Prestige.  It was very good ! We had not finished our beer yet when Amos was ready to go so we were planning on chugging them but instead Amos told us that we can just bring them with us.  In Canada that would be against the law!  I have realized there are not many rules or laws in Haiti.  Driving is absolutely crazy here.. we drove through streets that were filled with people and Amos did not slow down but just honked his horn and they all scattered out of the way.  The scenery was absolutely beautiful and it was neat because we drove through a huge market.  When we got to the top we stopped and took some pictures and also bought some souvenirs. Another thing I enjoyed about the ride was the great music that Amos played. I had met Amos for five minutes at the airport (although Phil had talked to him for an hour) and right away he trusted him and let him take us up to the mountains today.. in Canada that would never happen !!! We offered to pay him but he would not accept the money.  I am hoping that I can stay in contact with him he would be a great friend to have !
      Amos is picking us up at nine tomorrow morning so we can arrive at the clinic for around ten.  He said if it wasn't for the traffic in Haiti it would probably only take 10 mins to get there ! I am very excited for tomorrow.  I think it will be a great experience. Cite Soliel is very dangerous (the kidnapping capital) and the poorest area in Haiti but they need the most help.  Amos told us tonight that when his brother went (who is Haitian) he was jumped and had his ear cut off.  That story scared me a little but it sounds like the area we are going to is pretty safe.  The clinic is all fenced in.  It is definitely a risk that I am willing to take. 
      Everyday I fall in love with Haiti more and more.  I can see myself living here in the near future.  It is absolutely amazing ! Not only the scenery but the lifestyle and the people as well.  It is crazy here but I love it.  Words cannot even describe it.  Pictures will not even do it justice.  It is something that you need to see first hand.  I wish everyone back home could come.. but then again it is not for everyone.  These last two days have been the best days yet (other than the beach, that was amazing too!) and I am sure this weekend is going to be amazing as well !
     I am beginning to improve on my French and I have also learned a few creole words and sayings. 
Well I am off to go play with the kiddies before bed ! Once again I am exhausted and tomorrow will be a busy day !
Mwen renmen Ayiti <3 (I Love Haiti) 



No comments:

Post a Comment