Ke Kontan

Ke Kontan

Saturday 7 May 2011

Beach day

I was up at five this morning.  I was so happy because we actually had electricity overnight so we were finally able to use the fans.  We left the orphanage around 8 a.m. The drive to the beach was breath taking.  It took about an hour and a half to get there.  We went through numerous towns which was exciting and depressing at the same time.  Every day it seems as if I see more and more devastation, especially from the earthquake.  It still amazes me how people can be so happy when they have so little.  We went by the presidents house (which is pretty much exactly like the white house).  It has been completely destroyed by the earthquake.  The area is surrounded by people living in tents.  There is garbage EVERYWHERE !  I found out today that the re-election is going to occur on May 30th which happens to be my birthday.  I am praying that this election goes much better than the last.  Fingers crossed that there will be no more riots.  My only birthday wish is that everything goes well.  This country does not need anymore chaos then it already has. 
The beach that Jean took us to used to be a resort but it has been destroyed by the earthquake as well.  There is a little gate that leads to the water, there is no beach, only stairs that lead into the water.  The water is beautiful.  We are once again surrounded by mountains.  It is the most peaceful and relaxing area.  You can  just float on your back and checkout all of the scenery.  I found a starfish to bring home with me and I also found another one for Sam.  I went with Blaire and Jean and swam out into the ocean.  It is the perfect place to lay in the sun, listen to music, read, and write.  The best part about it is watching all of the Haitians have a blast in the water.   Their ability to still find happiness overwhelms me.  Seeing them smile and laugh makes me feel so happy.  I wish I could do more though.  It is so hard knowing that you cannot help everyone. There are so many kind people and I wish they were able to have a better life.  It is the worst feeling knowing that when I return home I will have access to unlimited resources, a roof without any holes or open windows over my head, and a fridge full of food.  I cannot believe the amount of people still living in tents, especially families that have 5-8 people.  I cannot imagine living that way.  It would be so hot, crowded, you would have no privacy and most likely smell horrible. 
I got sooooo sun burnt.  I have had many sunburns but this one is the worst.  It is pretty much my entire body.  I am already starting to blister.  I won't be sleeping tonight !!! We all sat around the table tonight and made a list of everything we need to do around the orphanage to improve it. 
I am hoping that tomorrow I will be able to find shade.  
Jean has asked us to attend church with him tomorrow so we will be waking up at 5 since their church starts at 6.

I am looking forward to coming home and telling everyone about my experiences and how amazing Haiti is.

No comments:

Post a Comment