Ke Kontan

Ke Kontan

Thursday 19 May 2011

Day 18

Tuesday night was the first night it had rained in approx. 10 days.  It rained so hard that the front room of the orphanage filled with water.  We had to constantly mop it.  My cold has not gotten better, if anything it has got worse.  Jean went to the pharmacy and bought me some medicine yesterday.  I spent most of the day sleeping and had a high fever.  I find that my Asthma is a lot worse here because of all of the dust in the air. .  After taking a nap and taking some medicine I was feeling better and went outside and played hop scotch with the kids.  I ended up finishing The Book of Negroes (most amazing book I have ever read).  I recommend it to anyone and everyone !!! I even began re-reading it (never thought I would enjoy a novel that much).  Later in the afternoon Jean asked if I could type up some documents for him.  I thought it would be easy work but it is a lot harder typing out documents in French.  Jean and I stayed up pretty late working on a welcome banner for my mom.  It gets dark here around seven so we had the kids holding flash lights so we could see what we were doing.  We finally finished it around 8:30. 
I did not sleep at all last night.  There were a lot of people in the streets and it was way too noisy.  Sometimes it is also scary because it sounds like they are hoping the orphanage gate.  Thank God for the metal bars and lock on my door !! 
I was up at six this morning and we put the finishing touches on the banner and hung it up outside.  My Mom's plane landed at 8:30.  We were at the airport an hour early so it seemed like quite a long wait.  It was good to see her though ! We took a tap tap back to the orphanage and unloaded her stuff.  She had a lot of the same reactions that I did.  She could not believe all the tents and all the people ! The streets are so crowded here.  After we unpacked her things we gave the kids some candy, clothes, Canadian water bottles, and gifts for Jean and his wife.  We gave Jean a new lap top donated by Microage.  I have never seen anyone so excited!! He spent most of the day setting it up. We did some crafts with the kids and played a few games.  We went to the supermarket to pick up some things for the orphanage. Mom did not enjoy the traffic and she cannot believe how hot it is.  I thought today was actually quite cool, guess I am getting used to the weather !
After the supermarket we came back to the orphanage and had lunch.  Jean's wife made an awesome drink.  It was kind of like a smoothie.  It was made from Banana and Guava. We ate chicken, potatoes and rice. It began to rain around six tonight and it is still raining now.  The kids took showers in the rain.  After they were finished with their showers I set up my lap top inside the orphanage and put on Caillou.  While they were watching that my mom and I taught English to Jean and his wife.  After Caillou was finished most of the younger kids were passed out on the floor and the older ones wanted to watch Peter Pan. 
There was no school yesterday or today because yesterday was Flag Day in Haiti.  There is also no school tomorrow so we will be busy with the kids once again.
Today was a long day and I am completely exhausted !!! Tomorrow Mom and I are painting the kids bathroom and hopefully getting the toilet fixed so they no longer have to use a bucket.  I am also having my hair braided again.  Saturday we are going to the beach and taking the older kids with us.  I am definitely looking forward to that !!!

Heading to bed now.  Send my love to everyone back home xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment