Ke Kontan

Ke Kontan

Tuesday 10 May 2011

Day 9- Life changing

We take so much for granted.  No one ever seems happy; no one ever seems satisfied.  We constantly want more and more even though we have more than the necessities which are required to survive.  We have a roof over our head, running water, electricity, vehicles, food on our tables, and access to unlimited resources.  Yet we still feel the need to complain.  As soon as something small happens, between friends, or family, we seek attention by expanding the story, gossiping, and creating drama to hurt others when you could just let it go, move on, and forgive.  We find pleasure in hurting others and it is honestly sickening.  We need to learn to let the little things go and learn from our mistakes. Being here and being immersed into a completely different lifestyle is mind blowing.  You realize how much you take for granted and how ridiculous or meaningless some of the things we say and do are.  People are struggling daily in Haiti and in many other areas around the world to survive.  They have lost everything, their homes, their family and friends, and most of all their dignity and pride for their country.  Although they lost so much, they still have the ability to smile, to love, and the ability to still appreciate what they do have left.  They have so little, but have given me so much.  I came here expecting to impact or change lives but instead the have impacted and changed mine.
I wish everyone could have the experience that I am having, and gain as much as they can from it.  It really does change your perspective on everything. These children and people are amazing.  They are more generous and kind then most people back home.
The Alneus' are like family now.  Jean has a huge heart and puts the children before himself (not only his children but all of the children in Haiti).  Jean has a dream to improve the lives and offer free education to children here.  He has said many times that it would be so much easier for him to do bad in Haiti (i.e. Steal) then good, but he chooses to do the right thing.  He prays to God that by doing good he will he will be able to keep the orphanage running and be able to continue to impact the lives of children.  He has no income other then the donations that he receives.  He is already offering free school at OREA Orphanage to approx. sixty children.  Jean is trying so hard to improve his English; he studies all day every day.  He would like to be able to present his dreams for the future to his friends on facebook and he would like to come and visit Canada.  I truly feel as if this is what I am meant to be doing.  I find happiness here and helping others.  I enjoy traveling to different countries and witnessing different lifestyles.  It truly does amaze me.  I will definitely be coming back to Haiti for years to come.
Jean pulled me aside this morning and spoke to me more about Hope Hospital.  He said last night that he did not want us to go but today he said he would like to come with us and bring Abigaelle to receive treatment for her Scabies.
My sunburn is starting to feel better ! I still look like a lobster though.  Now I am just waiting for this cold to subside.
This morning I made some more bracelets for the kids.  We even taught Jean how to make them.  I spent most of the day playing with kids and I took a nap with Meetchgave.  She slept on my chest.  I think we both were not feeling the best so the nap did us good ! After dinner we took some pictures with the kids and I helped Jean learn some more English.  Jean set up a game for the kids, kind of like pin the tail on the donkey but much more creative.  We blind folded the kids with a dish towel.  Drew a circle on the ground with chalk which they were to stand in. We set a water bottle on one of the ledges which they had to find and knock over.  If they succeeded then we gave them a sucker ! It was a blast.  The kids had so much fun with it.  We will have to play it again before I leave.
As I am writing this there is a fight going on outside of the orphanage. It gets pretty scary here at night.  I am so glad that nothing has happened yet.  I still feel safe here.  Jean locks our metal gate at night so no one can get in.  The only negative thing about that is if you have to go to the bathroom you must use the bucket.. I have had to use the bucket a few times now!! He locks the door around eight thirty.  He also never warns you before he does it. I guess it makes things that much more interesting !!!
To finish off my statement above... I really recommend emerging yourself into this kind of experience.  So many people tell me that they would like to do it.. if you would like to do it then make it happen !!! No matter what the age or gender.. it will still be life changing.  I wish I could have brought everyone back home with me.  Although their is much sadness here.. there is also so much joy ! Seeing the children smile is by far the most rewarding thing I could ever ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment