Ke Kontan

Ke Kontan

Tuesday 3 May 2011

Day 2

Today has been a busy day with the kids. I slept okay last night.  Woke up a few times due to fear of cockroaches crawling on my face.  I woke up around 7am.  The kids were up around 4a.m.  We had hard boiled eggs & bananas for breakfast.  We didn't have much to do today as the kids were in school during the morning.  The children go to school until 1pm.  I went in to help the kindergarten class.  I gave them crayons and some paper and we practiced the alphabet.  It is hard for me to teach because they speak french.  I am slowly learning some french ! Jean is helping me learn to speak French & I am helping him learn to speak better English. We coloured with kids & then skipped, played hopscotch, and catch.  The kids sure keep you busy.  There are quite a few children who have lost their parents due to the earthquake which has destroyed most of their country.  I also noticed a few kids that are malnourished.  The one boy in particular has a very big pot belly and you can see every bone in his body.  Jean takes very good care of the children and you can tell that he really loves them if they were his own.  Jean has four children, two boys & two girls.  The two older boys can speak a little English but not much.  Jean & Josh went to the store today to get supplies to fix up the orphanage.  They are currently doing the electrical work & fixing door knobs.  Tomorrow we are painting the bathroom (which is pretty much just a drain in the ground which they go over but has cement walls around it).  They shower with a bucket of water.  The bugs are biting like crazy here ! There are so many flies at the orphanage & ants as well (& of course cockroaches).  We have not seen any tranchula's yet so I am thankful for that.  I have been reading a lot while I have been here.  Mrs. Fung gave me the novel "The Book of Negroes".  It is a very good book, upsetting though.  It gets dark here by 6:30 and is completely dark by 7:30 or 8.  The sun raises about 4 a.m and that is when the kids wake up.  Jean has asked us to go to church with them Sunday morning.  Their church starts at 6 a.m so that will be an early morning for us !
It is hard being here without Caleb because I know how much he would have loved these children and would have helped out so much! I know he is here with all of us watching over. 
I currently am surrounded by 6 kids all trying to touch my lap top & one that is playing with my hair so it is time to go for today !
I send my love to everyone back home.. anyone who is thinking of coming to Haiti I definitely recommend it !
I found out this afternoon that my mom will be coming to visit on May 18th- May 25th. 

Take care everyone.. Keep checking for new posts !
xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment