Ke Kontan

Ke Kontan

Sunday 8 May 2011

Day 7- Church & Painting

I was up at four thirty this morning to get ready for church.  None of us had brought dress clothes so we definitely looked goofy and did not fit in.  Church starts around six but some churches begin even earlier then that.  We walked to church with Jean, his wife, and his kids.  I am still sick with a cold but felt even worse today because of my sunburn, I think I am just very dehydrated.  I thought I was going to pass out during the Church service.  It was really interesting and I am glad we went.  Church in Haiti is a lot different then Church back home.  There was so many people and the majority of the service consisted of singing, dancing, and yelling Hallelujah.  Jean asked me to go up on stage with him to speak in front of the church.  I was definitely not prepared or expecting that.  He explained to them why we are here and talked about OREA Orphanage.  I was then handed the microphone.  I was not too sure what I was supposed to say so I just thanked them for having us and thanked Jean for allowing us to stay with him.  Everyone seemed very happy that we were there.  It was by far a great experience. 
We did not receive breakfast this morning; therefore, my energy drained very quickly.  Thank God I brought granola bars with me !  When we returned to the orphanage Sam, Blaire and I washed our clothes by hand for the first time during our stay here.  It is a lot more complicated then one would assume.  There is about five different steps.  I think that it is the best way to wash your clothes though, your clothes come out cleaner then they would if you used a washing machine.  After finishing our laundry we decided to start one of the projects on our list.  Painting the bathroom.  We all took turns since there was only three brushes.  We only have one can of paint and we still need to paint the kids bathroom as well.  Jean thinned the paint by using gasoline.  The area in which we were painting is very small and enclosed, their is no air flow at all which made it difficult to breath in the fumes all afternoon.  Jean added another project to our list today.  He would like to be able to put a sink in the kids bathroom, which is a great idea since they are currently all washing their hands in the same bucket of water.  While Blaire, Josh and I painted, Sam helped to prepare the food and washed the baby. 
We only had one meal today which was around one thirty.  It was a great meal though, one of the best yet!  We had chicken, potatoes, and macaroni salad. 
I am glad that I was able to stay out of the sun today.
Tonight is the first night that we all sat down and talked about Caleb since being in Haiti.  It was very difficult, especially because he was supposed to be here.  I feel as if his smile would even light up the orphanage.  I think of him every minute of everyday.  I miss him like crazy and really wish that he could be here with us. 
Tonight is one of the hottest nights yet.  You are drenched with sweat just by sitting in our room.  Hopefully I am able to get some sleep tonight because all day I have felt absolutely exhausted.

Finally... HAPPY MOTHERS DAY MOM ! AND TO ALL THE OTHER MOMS OUT THERE !
Couldn't have done this trip without you.  See you soon !

No comments:

Post a Comment