Ke Kontan

Ke Kontan

Wednesday 11 May 2011

Day 10 - Hope Hospital

Today has been a long, but productive day.  I did not get any sleep last night.  My entire body is itchy.  I received a message from Michelle Duguay this morning (she is very involved with Haiti and OREA Orphanage).  I had previously told her about a few of the children having Scabies.  She went on to tell me that it is very contagious and usually begins in the crease of your arms or legs.  Of course, I realize now that what I thought were small bites/cuts in the crease of my arm, are Scabies.  It explains why I was so itchy last night.  Scabies is a parasite that borrows into your skin and creates an allergic reaction.  I contracted it from one of the girls at the orphanage (Abigaelle).  It has started to spread down my arm but I am hoping to get it treated before it spreads anymore.  I am glad that we had arranged to go to Hope Hospital today.  We had an appointment at ten but we had to arrange for transportation so we did not arrive until eleven.  Jean's friend drove us there.  We brought Abigaelle and Meetchgave with us to the hospital so I could have them checked out as well and so we could get treatment for Abigaelle's Scabies.  The journey to the hospital was interesting.  We went through many different parts of town.  I witnessed a man on the side of the road who could not use his legs.  To get around he was scooting on his bottom by using his hands.  I wish I could have picked him up and brought him to the hospital with us.  The Hospital is really nice, as well as the area around it.  Rigan met us in the waiting room at the hospital.  He brought us to the doctor to have the kids and myself checked out.  The doctor prescribed us all medication.  He then gave us a tour of the hospital which was very interesting.  He showed us the ICU, the Pediatric Ward, and the general rooms.  The cost for the examinations came to only $20 US.  I paid about $15 US for all of our prescriptions.  I paid an extra $15 for the children to have blood and urine tests done to make sure nothing else is wrong with them.  We are going back to the hospital tomorrow for the results and I am bringing Ricostah with us to get checked out.  Ricostah was neglected by his parents and looks as if he is starving.  He also has some sort of cold or respiratory infection, as well as a bump on his head.  When we returned to the orphanage Sam & I had our braids taken out.  We noticed that the Scabies was spreading to my head as well.  It took awhile to get all of the corn rows out of my hair but the kids helped me out ! It felt so good to be able to actually wash my hair properly.  After taking a shower I sat down Jean and had a heart to heart.  I needed to know where all of the money was going and what debts he had left to pay.  He wrote down all the expenses and explained so much to me ! He told me all about the kids and how they ended up at the orphanage.  It brought tears to my eyes.  So many kids have lost their parents, but lots have also been neglected by their parents.  One story in particular broke my heart.  Jean was the first person to walk down the street where the orphanage is located.  He was searching for a new place to keep the children.  While he was searching, he came a cross a young boy who seemed very sick.  This boy was Yvenson.  He told me that he should have been dead from the earthquake yet he survived.  His mother died but his father neglected him and did not want him anymore.  Not only was Yvenson neglected and starving.  He also contracted Cholera in February this year.  He had it very bad but also managed to survive through that.  He is one strong little boy and has the cutest smile in the world.  Jean told me how he could leave Haiti and have a better life but he chooses to stay and help out.  His family and friends do not always understand him but he said he cannot do anything but follow his heart.  These children are his life.  He has sacrificed everything to give these kids a better life.   He still owes money for rent, which if he does not pay the orphanage will be shut down in July.  He also owes money for food and has not been able to pay the teachers since January.  He owes the teachers $125 per month.  He also needs $20 a day to be able to feed the children and his family.  He is struggling daily to survive.  I wish I could help him more.  I have found a lap top to bring him.  My mom is going to bring it with her when she comes.  Rigan has also been a huge help.  Although we had to pay for our prescriptions today, he said that he will get medicine for the rest of the children for free and he would like to come visit the orphanage often. 
I currently am surrounded by five children who are all playing with my hair and hugging me.  I love them and will do anything to make sure these children continue to receive the care and love that they need.  I do not know how I will be able to leave them.  I miss the kids from Ghana like crazy .. but I have a feeling leaving the kids from OREA Orphanage will break my heart even more.  I am already planning my trip back to Haiti !
Everyday it seems as if I learn more and more and fall in love with these children and Jean's family more and more. 
I have to help teach Jean and his wife (mommy- she insists that we call her that) English.  I hope everything is going well back home.  Thank you for everyone who has given me donations and thanks to everyone who are still giving.  I appreciate it so much as well as Jean and the children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment