Ke Kontan

Ke Kontan

Monday 9 May 2011

Day 8

I was up today around 6:30.  I was not feeling well at all and I did not sleep last night; it was way too hot !!! I think I was also feeling upset because the dreams I had last night were about Caleb and people/friends back home.  This is the first day I felt pretty home sick.  I ran out of moisturizer this morning and my sunburn was hurting a lot.  I took another bucket shower this morning and it felt so refreshing.  After painting the bathroom it definitely looks a lot better.  We had eggs and bananas for breakfast again this morning.  I love the bananas here.  I spent most of my morning making bracelets for the kids, playing with a few of the younger ones, and trying to contact Rigan Louis on facebook.  Rigan was the first person I contacted when I decided that I wanted to come to Haiti.  We have been talking on facebook, skype and even on black berry messenger for the last seven months.  He is the head nurse at Hope Hospital here in Haiti.  Caleb and I were originally going to volunteer at the hospital until we came across OREA Orphanage. toutoring
Jean and Josh went to the shop today to get lumber to re-build their ladder.  The ladder that they have been using at the orphanage to get onto the roof looks as if it is going to fall apart any day now (actually the first step broke today).
After they returned from getting lumber we all went to the super market to get more supplies, food, and so Josh could go to Western Union to pick up the money his mom had sent.  I bought some crackers and juice for the children since Jean's wife had asked us this morning if we had any extra food in our room that she could give the children since they ran out and the kids were hungry.  They are definitely not getting the nutrients that they need.  I also found out today that Meetchgave (the baby) is actually eight months old and not six.  I really cannot believe that she is still wearing 0-3 month clothing.
Rigan ended up calling Jean before we went to the supermarket.  He found the orphanages number online.  I was so happy to hear his voice and he speaks perfect English!!  He is very sweet and asked if he could come visit the orphanage today once he was finished work at the hospital.  I was so excited to finally meet him and talk to him in person.  We all sat down outside and talked about Haiti, the hospital, the orphanage, and what we have been doing during our stay so far.  Abigaelle came and sat on my lap while we were talking.  I had noticed last week that she had a lot of small cuts/scabs covering her body, especially her stomach.  She also had a few infected sores.  I asked Rigan if it was anything serious and he told me that she has Scabies.  Scabies is very contagious and it is common in orphanages because the children do not have strong immune systems, they all eat the same food, sleep together, wash their hands in the same bucket, and even wear the same clothes.  I asked him if there is any treatment and if I would be able to take her to Hope Hospital.  He said that he would be able to get a prescription for her and also for the other kids that have it as well.  He told us that we could come and visit the hospital whenever we would like.  I am so glad that he stopped by and I am looking forward to going to visit him at the hospital.  However, Jean and his wife do not feel comfortable with us going to the hospital.  They are too worried about our safety.  We sat down and had a long discussion about it and we decided that we would not go because we did not want them to feel upset.  I think I will wait to save that trip for the end of my stay.  We had a big group hug and they told us that they love us and do not want us to leave.  They are absolutely amazing people and have such big hearts.  It will most definitely be hard to leave them.  They are looking into coming to Canada though! "The world is filled with so much sadness and seperation, but from that sadness and separation comes joy and happiness.  Without sadness there would be no happiness" - quote from Jean. 
After out talk, Jean asked us if we could help to teach them better English.  We brought out all of the dictionaries and flash cards that we brought and also some books that he has.  I had a blast ! It was fun spending the night with them and doing something purposeful.  His kids even participated.
Today was by far one of the best days yet.  I am looking forward to what tomorrow will bring.  We have a day of work ahead of us !

No comments:

Post a Comment