Ke Kontan

Ke Kontan

Tuesday 19 June 2012

Meetings, Meetings, & More Meetings

The past week has been absolute chaos. I began the week with a trip to Port Au Prince last Tuesday. I had a meeting with some government officials in regards to registering the orphanage and obtaining permanent residency. From there, I headed to Cap Haitian. I knew it was going to be a long drive, however, the 7 hour drive turned into a 9 1/2 hour drive due to a road block that made us take a detour through the mountains and voodoo villages. This wouldn't have been so bad if our truck had proper shocks and if the roads were paved. Let's just say I was a hurting unit after that trip and the three men I was traveling with sure got a kick out of it when I was crying in pain and asking them to stop and get me duck tape so I could tape down my boobs!! So, we finally arrived in Cap Haitian but we were all so tired from the drive that we had to post pone the meeting until Friday. We drove to Ouanaminthe (its about an hour from Cap Haitian) and we met with the organization called FEMAD. They have been sending children to school and helping their community for many years, however, since the earthquake they have been having financial problems and had to quit the sponsorships. They have a huge office, a medical clinic, and a big piece of land. They had many plans to build on the land but since they do not have the money to build, the land has just been sitting there. They said that if I am willing to help them and their community then they would allow me to have the land. I agreed we could partner and we decided to keep my organization name "Hime For Help" and I will simply add them under my organization. On Saturday they took me to the land and took me around to meet some of the children. I was introduced to two babies: 1. Stephanie- 4 months old - her mother died a week before I met her. 2. Christela- 6 months- her parents have abandonded her. They asked if I would be willing to take them into the orphanage. Of course, my heart could not turn them away. But, I made an agreement that I will only take them once I have a new house since ours is not big enough and once they complete the paper work for me to take her. Hopefully the girls will be joining us in July !!!



The trip to Ouanaminthe was successful. Due to the meetings being pushed back I had to try and rush back to Port Au Prince for my second meeting with Convoy of Hope. On our drive back from Ouanaminthe to Cap Haitian we stopped on the side of the road to get something to eat. The guys ordered me my food and we all sat in the truck and stuffed our faces. After I took a few bites they all started laughing and asked if I thought it was good. I said "yeah it tastes like every other goat I've eaten". They then informed me that it was not goat. They had tricked me into eating horse. I was so mad and disgusted. I definitely lost my appetite after that !!! Gotta love hanging out with men. We received news that there was a second road block- which meant I would not make it home in time for the meeting. Blanchard decided to make a pit stop at the airport and booked me a seat on the next plane which would be departing at 3pm. The flight was only 25 minutes long but it was the craziest flight I have ever been on. The pilots sure did not know how to fly a plane. It kept raising and dropping and I was sure we were going to crash. Everyone on the plane was beginning to panic and feel nauseas. But we landed safely !!!

I waited at the airport for my moto driver (Daniel) to pick me up. I was going to be staying at the Carribean Lodge with my friend Seanna. My meeting with Convoy of Hope was successful. They handed me an envelope with a donation and also told me that they will be sending food for us.

Since my meeting with Convoy of Hope, the meetings I was supposed to be in during my time in Port Au Prince have been multiplied. After every meeting it seems as if I gain two more meetings. I also had the opportunity to meet with Miriam Fedrick from New Life Orphanage who gave me amazing advice and guidance and also offered me a house to rent in Tabarre until we can complete the building. It is going to be $500 a month but it is big enough and has a large yard and a gate with barbed wire surrounding the property. I am hoping that we can come up with the funds to rent and that we can move down there within the next two weeks once our kids have finished school. Due to the safety of our children, volunteers, staff, and Montanna and I, as well as for our health and to meet the requirements of social affairs, we must move. I am exhausted and stressed but I am happy to finally get things going! I also met with an architect who is drawing out the plan for the orphanage, school, and guest house to be built on the land in Ouanaminthe. There is already a partially built building on the property and we are going to finish building that first so we can move there as soon as possible. It will be our temporary orphanage until we can build a larger one. However, to finish building that completely it will cost just under $40,000 US. So until we are able to come up with the funding, we are going to try to rent the house in Tabarre. Although this trip hasn't been the most "fun" trip, I have gotten a lot accomplished and I have met so many wonderful people that have now become close friends. Seanna, Daniel, Miriam, Blanchard, Julio, the staff at Carribean Lodge, and all of the UN workers I met have made this trip even better !!!

I am still in Port Au Prince and will be until tomorrow afternoon as I am meeting with a lawyer tomorrow morning to complete some paperwork for the registration of the orphanage. It is a long and tiring process- but it will be worth it !!

I am missing my babies so much and I was so glad to receive a phone call from them this morning. They passed the phone around and all said hi, asked how I was, when I would be coming back, and said I love you. That is the perfect way to start the day :) I can't wait to see them tomorrow.

Things have definitely not been easy for us, we have faced a lot of obstacles, but so far, we have been able to overcome them, and I can only hope and pray that we will be able to continue to overcome obstacles in the future as I know we are going to be facing many. One thing I've learned is that nothing worth having comes easy - especially in Haiti !!

I am still overwhelmed by the amount of support and encouragement I am receiving. I could not do it without it. Last night I received a phone call from Saghar- a lady who has done amazing work in Iran as well as in many other countries- her words of encouragement were definitely needed. I was amazed to be talking to someone who I had never met, who lives in another country, and who has the same passion as I do, and who was so inspired by my story. But the entire time she was talking, I was also very inspired by hers. She is planning to come and visit and to try to find us the support we need. I cannot wait to meet her !! I am also looking forward to receiving our two new volunteers on June 27th - Brooke & Madison who are also very young ladies with big hearts.

I have just returned from visiting the Baby Malnourishment clinic. I can't even put into words my experience and what I am now feeling. I saw the sickest of the sick and my heart is aching for them. Seeing the babies, and holding them, was another moment I will never forget. It was hard to hold back the tears. But I know that the babies are getting better and that they are in the right place receiving proper care. Life is so precious and we never know how long we have. Days like this makes me realize that every moment counts, you never know when your life could end, we have to live every moment as if it could be our last, the most important thing is to love with all of your heart. Never hate, and forget the things that cause you stress and anger for they are merely temporary things and will soon pass. Leave everyone with loving words, even if they don't want them. And most of all... Just be happy. Do whatever it takes to find your happiness and never lose it.

Still missing , everyone back home.
Much love & God bless

1 comment:

  1. This is great Emily! I'm so excited to get out there and help out, best of luck with the new girls, if I'm not mistaken they should be bringing some of the mosquito netting for you guys!
    You're strong and a motivation to a lot of people,
    Remember don't forget to smile (^_^)

    ReplyDelete